University of Minho
History and objectives
University of Minho (Uminho), founded in 1973, is one of the then named “New Universities” that, at that time, deeply changed the landscape of higher education in Portugal. The level of the scientific, technological and cultural activity of the University has granted its international recognition. The reputation of UMI is reinforced by demonstrative projects, namely: formats the introduction of teaching methodologies, the offer of teaching typologies that address new audiences, the configuration of innovative interfaces, consistent with the scientific structure, and subject to entrepreneurial management.
Senate, Academic Council, Administrative Council and Rectorate. Rector, 3 vice-rectors and 2 pro-rectors.
Gualtar (Braga) and Azurém (Guimarães).
Uminho considers internationalization a priority and is highly involved in several academic mobility, cooperation and research programmes and initiatives, such as:
- SOCRATES (Erasmus, Minerva, Comenius, Grundtvig and accompanying measures).
- Leonardo da Vinci.
- Jean Monnet.
- the Framework Programmes for RTD.
- Cooperation with third countries, among others.
- ECTS Label.
- Diploma Supplement Label.
September-January (1st term) and February-June (2nd term). Examinations are in January and June. Re-sits take place in February, July and September. Summer courses of Language and Culture for Foreign Students.
The University is organized in Schools and Institutes: Engineering, Sciences, Economics and Management, Arts and Humanities, Law, Health Sciences, Architecture, Social Sciences, Child Studies, Education and Psychology and Nursing.
Uminho, as a higher education institution (University), awards Graduate (Licenciado), Master and Doctorate degrees. Uminho currently offers 52 Licenciatura (Undergraduate) Degree Courses, 80 Master Degree Programmes, 60 Specialization Courses and around 40 PhD Programmes/Areas in Architecture, Engineering, Sciences, Arts and Humanities, Economics, Business and Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Education and Psychology, Early Childhood and Elementary Education, and Health Sciences.
Bachelor’s degree (240-300 ECTS credits)
- Apparel Engineering.
- Applied Biology.
- Applied Chemistry-Specialization in Plastic Materials.
- Applied Chemistry-Specialization in Quality of Textile Materials.
- Applied Foreign Languages.
- Applied Mathematics.
- Biological Engineering.
- Biology and Geology (Teacher Training).
- Biomedical Engineering.
- Civil Engineering.
- Communication Studies.
- Communications. Engineering.
- Computer Science and Systems Engineering.
- Early Childhood Education.
- Elementary Education.
- English and German Studies.
- Fashion Design and Marketing.
- Geography and Planning.
- Geology-Specialization in Resources and Planning.
- History (Teacher Training).
- Industrial Electronics and Computers Engineering.
- Industrial Management and Engineering.
- International Business.
- International Relations.
- Management and Informatics.
- Materials Engineering.
- Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Optometry and Vision Sciences.
- Oriental Studies.
- Physics and Chemistry (Teacher Training).
- Polymer Engineering.
- Portuguese and English Studies.
- Portuguese and French Studies.
- Portuguese and German Studies.
- Portuguese Studies.
- Public Administration.
- Textile Engineering.