Graphic design and infographics
Keys for creating graphic materials for dissemination and communication purposes
The Compostela Group of Universities remains committed to providing its university community with the necessary training to effectively disseminate its creations and research work, with the twofold objective of helping to improve its dissemination and thus increase its impact.
Participants in the Training and teaching innovation course Graphic design and infographics will gain an in-depth knowledge of the tools at their disposal and learn how to apply them for the advantage of their teaching and research careers. Moreover, they will acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to create specific graphic design elements following the identity of their project. At the end of the course, they will be able to produce professional-looking and high-quality designs for materials such as posters for communication at conferences, graphics for their publications, posters for conferences and congresses or programmes of activities.
The course methodology combines theoretical knowledge acquisition with practical assignments. Participants will work with the layout and graphic editing programmes Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop on their projects, ensuring that at the end of the course the materials will be ready for public dissemination. If these programmes are not available, all the steps will be explained so that they can be applied to any graphic design programme and limited additional support will be given to adapt them to other programmes (Illustrator, Corel Draw, Word, etc.).
- Learn the basics of graphic design and typography in a personalised and scalable way.
- Acquire the essential design skills to create graphic materials for dissemination purposes by using layout and editing programmes.
- Achieve autonomy to design and disseminate your own graphic materials, aimed at increasing the visibility and notoriety of your work.
- Orthography, typography and orthography.
- Fonts, variations, readability.
- Blank space.
- Colour, palettes and combinations.
- Content hierarchy (headlines, paragraphs, footers…).
- Paragraph and text style sheets.
- Content structure: hierarchy and modularity.
- Graphic elements: photographs, infographics, illustrations, logos…
- Good taste.
- Photographs and digital images: resolution, colour space and composition.
- Graphics and infographics: keys to better communication.
- Infographics: a graphic representation of data, objectivity, comprehensibility.
- Electronic poster.
- InDesign: workspace, workspace navigation, tools, file formats.
- Basic Photoshop: workspace, workspace navigation, tools, file formats. Scaling and processing images for graphic presentations.
This course is aimed at the entire university community: undergraduate and postgraduate students, researchers, university teachers, administrative and support and services staff that need to create graphic materials for a personal project or a group, project, institution or company.
- No prior knowledge of graphic design or layout is required.
- Basic computer skills and web browsing are recommended.
- A computer with a screen of at least 13 inches and HD resolution.
- Good internet connection (minimum 3Mb/s, preferably 10Mb/s).
Start and duration
- The course is offered monthly from March to July 2021. The student chooses on the registration form the month in which s/he wishes to receive the training.
- The first edition of the course is in March and the following editions are held on the second half of each month until July. Classes start on the 15 of the month, except when it is a non-working day. In this case, it will start on the first working day in the second half of each month.
- The student will have access to the course materials for 6 months. Besides, during this same period, the trainer will continue to support and assist him/her in the development of his/her personal project and related materials.
- Students can progress freely, with a permanent online tutoring service available. However, they will have to respect this time frame to complete the training:
- Minimum: 15 days.
- Maximum: 1 month.
Training and language
- Academic training hours. 20 hours of direct online training, distributed as follows: 10 hours of video tutorials at your disposal and 10 hours of live-streaming classes, to work on students’ projects. Attendance at these 2-hours live sessions, which will be distributed over five days, is not compulsory but is recommended for clarifying doubts. After the live session, the video can be viewed in deferred, and the trainer will be available to answer questions on the microsite of the course, through its various channels of communication.
The trainer and the students of each group will agree on the schedule for these live sessions at the beginning of the course.
- Practicum. 30 hours of individual work with constant support from the trainer, the forums and the virtual classroom.
- Permanent online tutoring.
- Materials in the virtual classroom. Permanent access to tutorials and support materials for 6 months.
- Groups. Work will be carried out in groups of between 4 and 12 students, prioritising individual work and project support through individual tutorials. Students will be notified by email once a group is formed.
- Trainer. Adolfo Ramonde, an expert in graphic/web design and programming. Estudio Galego de Deseño.
- Languages: Spanish and English. The English course option will depend on demand and will only be offered from April on. All the materials will also be available in this language.
Evaluation and diploma
The evaluation will involve the effective completion of:
- The online tests on each section, which are mandatory to pass to successfully complete the course.
- A poster ready for dissemination, according to the content provided by the trainee, or a graphic set for publication.
Completing this course will give the right to obtain the Diploma of the training and teaching innovation course “Graphic design and infographics” issued by the Compostela Group of Universities.
Registration and enrolment
Registration. Fill in the online form. The data provided through this form will be available to the CGU Executive Secretariat and the trainer.
Registration fee. 150€ (includes taxes).
Registration deadlines and fee payment
Registration opens from 19/02/2021 until 30/6/2021.
Payment of the registration fee. Once the formation of the group selected by the candidate has been confirmed, the Executive Secretariat of the Compostela Group of Universities will request the payment of the registration fee of 150€ from the registered students.