The CGU wants to offer its member universities and the university community the opportunity to learn quickly and easily how to develop their own website, under our expert collaborators guidance.
As we know, today’s society demands that contents, services and products are available online, so that they can be accessible 24 hours a day and from afar. Taking into account its functionality, topics such as electronic payment, teleworking, online training offer, culture or commercial activities are part of this new scenario that we must conquer and adapt to. Websites go even further in their expansion. They have also become a common means for those who can even access physically to certain contents or products, because of the economy and flexibility that it entails.
If we look at individuals, the website has already moved beyond business relationships and into higher education. All professionals, trainers, creators, scientists, cultural institutions, students and researchers now need a website to disseminate their work, share diverse content, find international partners and collaborators and many other functions.
Until recently, the development of a website was only within the reach of experts in programming and graphic design. Today, thanks to WordPress and Divi tools, it is possible to create a website with no previous knowledge of programming or graphic design.
The CGU encourages you at this time to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to have your own website.
- Introduction to internet services and CMS.
- Basic concepts of WordPress.
- Initial setup.
- Installation of Divi visual page builder (with a license for each student).
- Domain, hosting, mail, FTP and hosting.
- Web design basics; corporate identity adaptation.
- Basic website sections.
- Entries and pages.
- Images and multimedia material.
- Menus and navigability.
- Installation of plugins (SEO, metrics, online shop, payment gateway, calendar and others, according to the needs of each student).
- Create in a few days and with no previous knowledge a basic professional website (a corporate website, a blog, a product or project presentation page, an online store, etc.) using the WordPress and Divi platform.
- Acquire essential skills in graphic design to obtain better results.
- Learn in a personalized and scalable way how to build a website through online classes and tutorials in the virtual classroom, and training practice.
- Develop your own fully functional website, adapted to your personal needs, and the possibility of maintaining it and creating new content, both in terms of personal skills and technical management control.
This course is aimed at the entire university community: undergraduate and postgraduate students, researchers, teachers, administrative and support and services staff that need to build a personal website or for a group, project, institution or company.
- No prior knowledge of programming or graphic design is required.
- Basic computer skills and web browsing are recommended.
- A computer with a screen of at least 12 inches and HD resolution.
- Good internet connection (minimum 3Mb/s, preferably 10Mb/s).
Training and language
- Academic training hours. 20 hours of direct online training, distributed as it follows: 10 hours of video tutorials at your disposal and 10 hours of live-streaming classes, to work on students’ projects. Attendance at these 2-hours live sessions, which will be distributed over five days, is not compulsory but is recommended for clarifying doubts. After the live session, the video can be viewed in deferred and the trainer will be available to answer questions on the microsite of the course, through its various channels of communication.
The trainer and the students of each group will agree on the schedule for these live sessions at the beginning of the course.
- Practicum. 30 hours of individual work with constant support from the teacher, the forums and the virtual classroom.
- Permanent online tutoring.
- Materials in the virtual classroom. Permanent access to tutorials and support materials for 12 months.
- Groups. A minimum of five and a maximum of 12 students per group. Students will be notified by email once a group is formed.
- Trainer. Adolfo Ramonde, an expert in graphic/web design and programming. Estudio Galego de Deseño.
- Languages: Spanish and English. The course in English will be offered only in the third call, in which all the materials will also be available in this language.
Start and duration
- The course will start the day after the registration deadline or once a group is formed.
- Course participants can progress freely, with a permanent online tutoring service available. However, they will have to respect this time frame to complete the training:
- Minimum: 15 days.
- Maximum: 1 month.
- Access to materials and software tools: 12 months.
Evaluation and diploma
The evaluation will involve the effective completion of:
- A functional website with at least one operative home page, where there is a link, downloadable file, text or image.
- The online tests on each section, which are mandatory to pass to successfully complete the course.
Completing this course will give the right to obtain the Diploma of training and academic innovation “Creation and development of a professional website” issued by the Compostela Group of Universities.
Registration and enrolment
Registration. Fill in the online form. The data provided through this form will be available to the CGU Executive Secretariat and the trainer.
Registration fee. 190 Euros (includes taxes, materials, web page hosting and mail for one year, a subdomain and use of Divi, valued at 180 Euros).
Registration dates and fee payment
- First call. Registration deadline 27 April 2020. Spanish language.
- Second call. Registration deadline 12 May 2020. Spanish language.
- Third call. Registration deadline 27 May 2020. Two groups divided into two languages, English and Spanish.
* free hosting for one year on a shared server, with a security certificate (SSL), 3 email accounts and a total space of 5 GB (extendable by 1 GB per month for each additional GB); voluntary renewal from the second year for 5 GB per month
** Divi’s license will be valid for one year; extendable free of charge if accommodation is maintained