University of Vigo
History and Objectives
The University of Vigo was founded in 1990. It is as a public institution committed to the promotion of knowledge and research, with a European and Atlantic vocation. It offers up to 56 degrees on its three campuses, Ourense, Pontevedra and the main campus situated 15 kilometres from Vigo. More than 25000 students register every year at our Institution and a teaching staff of up to 1200 people cover a varied offer of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate studies comprising all areas of knowledge. Academic activity takes place at 14 Faculties, 4 Higher Technical Schools, 4 own University Colleges, 5 dependent University Colleges and 46 university departments and research groups. Currently 243 R + D groups of the University of Vigo are carrying out research projects in several fields. The University of Vigo is obtaining a singular success when transferring its research groups´ results to the surrounding companies. In conjunction with the local business companies, the University of Vigo has launched several significant chairs representing both its R + D activities and the socio-economic sectors that are being fostered. The University of Vigo spends a considerable amount of its budget (amounting to over 123 000 000 euros in 2005) to research purposes. However, the institution also devotes its efforts to the promotion of quality standards, the fostering of ITTs, the environmental protection, the learning of languages through its Language Centre and the search of training periods for our students in companies. Being an Institution strongly involved in international cooperation, the University of Vigo has signed through its International Office over 400 cooperation agreements with partner institutions of higher education in 38 countries.
- General Secretary
- 8 Vice-rectors
- ISEP and MAE programmes
- visiting exchange programme
- international agreements and its own programmes (VI Frame Programme of I+D of the European Union)
September-February (1st term); February-June (2nd term). Examinations are usually held in February and in June. Spanish Summer courses for foreign students.
- Area of Science: Functional Biology and Health Sciences; Plant Biology and Soil Sciences; Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology
- Ecology and Animal Biology; Statistics and Operation Research; Mathematics; Analytical and Food Chemistry; Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry; Inorganic Chemistry; Marine Geosciences and Territorial Planning.
- Area of Technology: Engineering Design; Electrical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering, Thermal Engines and Machines, Fluids
- Chemical Engineering; Materials Engineering, Applied Mechanics and Construction; Natural Resources and Environmental Engineering; Systems Engineering and Robotics; Telematic Engineering; Applied Physics; Computer Sciences; Applied Mathematics I; Applied Mathematics II; Electronic Technology; Signal and Communication Theory.
- Legal and Labour Area: Psychological, Social and Educational Analysis and Intervention; Private Law; Public Law; School Didactics and Organization, Research Methods; Special Didactics; Applied Economics; Financial Economics and Accounting; Fundamentals of Economic Analysis, History and Economic Institutions; Business Organization and Marketing; Evolutional Psychology and Communication; Sociology, Political Science, Public Administration and Philosophy; Public Special Law; Audiovisual Communication and Advertising.
- Area of Humanities: Galician and Latin Philology; English, French and German Philology; History, Arts and Geography Spanish Language; Spanish Literature and Literary Theory; Translation and Linguistics; Sculpture; Painting; Drawg.
Campus of Ourense
- HIGHER TECHNICAL SCHOOL OF COMPUTER ENGINEERING: Technical Engineering in Computer Technology applied to Management. Computer Engineering (2nd cycle)
- FACULTY OF SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Physics. Bachelor’s in Food Sciences and Technology (2nd cycle); Technical Agricultural Engineering (Food and Agricultural Industries)
- FACULTY OF BUSINESS SCIENCES AND TOURISM: Diploma in Business Sciences. Diploma in Tourism. Bachelor’s in Administration and Business Management (2nd cycle)
- FACULTY OF LAW: Bachelor’s in Law
- FACULTY OF HISTORY: Bachelor’s in History
- FACULTY OF EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Educational Psychology (2nd cycle). Diploma in Social Studies. Diploma in Social Work. Teacher training: qualified teacher in Special Education, in Early Childhood Education, in Primary Education, in Foreign Languages.
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF NURSING: Diploma in Nursing
Campus of Pontevedra
- FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES AND COMMUNICATION: Bachelor’s in Advertising and Public Relations. Diploma in Public Administration and Management. Bachelor’s in Audiovisual Communication
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF TECHNICAL FOREST ENGINEERING: Technical Forest Engineering (Forest Industries)
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF PHYSIOTHERAPY: Diploma in Physiotherapy
- FACULTY OF FINE ARTS: Bachelors in Fine Arts. University Graduate in Textil Design and Fashion
- FACULTY OF EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Sport and Physical Education Sciences. Teacher training: qualified in Physical Education, in Early Childhood Education, in Musical Education, in Primary Education.
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF NURSING: Diploma in Nursing.
Campus of Vigo
- HIGHER TECHNICAL SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING: Industrial Engineering
- HIGHER TECHNICAL SCHOOL OF MINING ENGINEERING: Mining Engineering
- HIGHER TECHNICAL SCHOOL OF TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING: Telecommunication Engineering. Technical Telecommunication Engineering, Sound and Image. Technical Telecommunication Engineering, Telecommunication Systems
- FACULTY OF BIOLOGY: Bachelor’s in Biology
- FACULTY OF CHEMISTRY: Bachelor’s in Chemistry
- FACULTY OF MARINE SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Marine Sciences
- FACULTY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Economics. Bachelor’s in Administration and Business Management
- FACULTY OF LEGAL AND LABOUR SCIENCES: Bachelor’s in Law (Business Law). Diploma in Labour Relations
- FACULTY OF PHILOLOGY AND TRANSLATION: Bachelor’s in Hispanic, in English, in Galician Philology,in Translation and Interpreting
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF NURSING: Diploma in Nursing
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF TECHNICAL INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING: Technical Industrial Engineering, Electricity, Industrial Electronics, Mechanics or Chemistry
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF BUSINESS STUDIES: Diploma in Business Studies
- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF TEACHER TRAINING: Teacher training: in Early Childhood Education and in Primary Education