Programme for the Development of Virtual Exchange VE-COIL
The programme for the Development of Virtual Exchange VE-COIL emerges as a tool to promote cooperation and internationalization of learning among the members of the Compostela Group of Universities (CGU). In order to ensure the implementation of this programme, the CGU has created Universities for Virtual Exchange network, which will integrate those member Universities that are committed to bringing virtual exchanges closer to their university community
The members of Universities for Virtual Exchange network will appoint a programme coordinator who will facilitate the dissemination of relevant information in his/her university, support the teaching staff in attending training workshops and encourage their participation in the calls.
Reasons for incorporating virtual exchanges into the university experience
Internationalisation of learning and capacity building. Virtual exchanges are an innovative educational tool that offers teachers the opportunity to internationalise their classrooms and helps students to develop their digital and intercultural skills.
Internationalisation at home. Participants have an international experience in their classrooms, breaking down the economic barrier of stays abroad. Universities are strengthening their links with other national and international institutions, which will encourage the development of future projects and joint initiatives.
“INTEGRATING VIRTUAL EXCHANGE INTO THE UNIVERSITY CLASSROOM” TEACHING INNOVATION WORKSHOP
“Integrating Virtual Exchange into the University Classroom” workshop has been designed as a teaching innovation programme for those teachers and researchers interested in using virtual exchanges as a pedagogical tool. In this training, participants will acquire the knowledge, skills and competences that will allow them to involve their students in collaborative teaching projects as well as the materials and resources necessary for their development. They will also have an online mentoring service by experts in virtual exchanges.
Would you like to participate in the training? Discover the programme
Below, you will find the main contents of “Integrating Virtual Exchange into the University Classroom” workshop:
- Introduction to the concept of virtual exchange and its employment in university contexts.
- Discover the potential learning outcomes of virtual exchanges.
- Practical guide for setting up and running a virtual exchange.
- Materials and activities to engage students in virtual exchange.
Read the full programme of the training
Calls for workshop
1. February call. 20 – 21 February 2020. Place: Santiago de Compostela (Spain). Hours: 20 h. Modality: face-to-face. Languages: Spanish/English. Duration: a day and a half. Registration fee: 125 euros. The minimum number of participants: 10.
Registration is open until 5 February 2020.
2. April call. 23-24 April 2020. Place: Leon (Spain). Hours: 20 h. Modality: face-to-face. Language: English. Duration: a day and a half. Registration fee: 125 euros. The minimum number of participants: 10.
Registration is open until 20 March 2020.
3. July call. July 2020 online.
4. October call. October de 2020 in Monterrey (Mexico).
VIRTUAL EXCHANGE VE-COIL CALL
Our Virtual Exchange VE-COIL call is structured in two annual calls:
- VE-COIL January 2020. Virtual exchanges will be conducted between January and May 2020.
- VE-COIL August 2020. Virtual exchanges will be conducted between August and December 2020.
Do you want to participate?
We recommend you to read carefully the documents and visit the links below.
Documents and links
Application form. This form must be compulsorily filled in online and in English.
- VE-COIL August 2020. Registration deadline is 30 April 2020.
At first, the Collaborative Online International Learning initiative was developed by a working group of the Compostela Group of Universities. Please visit the page of the working groups to find more information.
TRAINING MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
What is Virtual Exchange?
Virtual exchange (VE), also commonly referred to as telecollaboration or Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL), is a broad term used to describe different approaches to engaging students in online intercultural collaboration projects with partners from different cultural contexts within their programmes of study and under the guidance of teachers or trained facilitators. Virtual Exchange has become a very popular way for teachers across all subject areas to internationalise their classrooms and to give their students first-hand experience of intercultural communication and using their digital skills.
The Virtual Exchange-COIL initiatives are one of the means used by the Compostela Group of Universities to foster cooperation and the internationalisation of learning among its members. Through the participation in COILs or virtual exchanges, professors and students of our network:
- Experience a multicultural experience in the classroom.
- Engage their classes in collaboration with international students and professors.
- Get to know new learning and teaching techniques.
- Develop their foreign language skills and their ability to use online technologies.
Thus, a virtual collaboration between students and teachers from different countries and cultures facilitates the development of competences and skills in multicultural environments.
What is telecollaboration? How can your university get started?
Presentation by Robert O’Dowd, Director of International Training at the University of Leon (Spain), during the XX CGU General Assembly.