History and Objectives
Metropolitan College, founded in 1982, is one of the first private colleges and the biggest college in Greece, with the widest range of fields of study. It is also the largest UK TNE provider in Greece and it is recognised among students as the leading choice of high quality tertiary education. With more than 37 years of experience in Greek education, Metropolitan College collaborates with well-established educational institutions in the UK in order to offer academic programmes that lead to contemporary technical and scientific knowledge and respond to the current demands of national and international employement market. The college has heavily invested in providing its students with state-of-the-art facilities and has campuses in Maroussi (northern suburb of Athens), downtown Athens, Piraeus and Thessaloniki. With five distinguished collaborating British universities, 10 faculties, 58 academic programmes (bachelors and masters) and four campuses of 21,700 square metres, Metropolitan College is indisputably the leading British higher education provider in Greece.
Metropolitan College focuses on the intellectual and academic development of its students and its main priority is the continuous development of critical thinking, academic progress and academic research spirit for each one of them. The College’s academic structure on-going development of academic staff, along with its structure, the fully-equipped libraries and the technological support of the educational procedures ensure excellence
The International Programmes Office of Metropolitan College has its core business to facilitate and promote all facets of internationalisation, offering education blended with adventure and unique cultural experiences. Metropolitan College has so far welcomed international students from 92 different countries around the world. There are three different types of English-taught programmes available for the college international students:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes for degree-seeking students: international student choose to study at Metropolitan College, they enrol in regular classes and study alongside students from Greece.
- Short-term faculty-led programmes: international students have the opportunity to travel and study and Greece under the leadership of a foreign faculty member. Students may earn credits while spending one to six weeks in Greece during the autumn, spring and summer terms.
- Signature programmes: they are specifically designed for international students and offer a structured curriculum focused on a particular discipline or area of study. Students may also gain exposure to a rich cross-section of the host culture through organised cultural excursions, field coursework, etc.
Departments and faculties
Metropolitan College consists of ten different faculties offering a variety of UK university programmes of the study of both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The faculties cover a wide range of scientific fields and offer contemporary degrees subjects and specializations highly demanded in the job market. More specifically, Metropolitan College consists of the following faculties, including the degree subjects mentioned below:
- Faculty of Business and Economics: Business Management, International Business, Economics for Business, Marketing Management, Digital Marketing.
- Faculty of Shipping and Maritime Studies-Maritime Academy: Shipping and Port Management, Maritime Business, International Shipping and Logistics, Marine Engineering and Management, Marine Operations Management.
- Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism Management: International Hospitality and Tourism Management, Culinary Arts and Food Service Development, Baking and Patisserie, Yacht Hospitality.
- Faculty of Computing: Computing, Computer Networks, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Information Security and Computer Forensics.
- Faculty of Health Sciences: Physiotherapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Biomedical Science, Sports Coaching and Physical Education, Nursing, Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Podiatry, Midwifery.
- Faculty of Human Sciences-Psychology: Psychology, Clinical and Community Psychology, Business Psychology, Counselling and Psychotherapy, Applied Positive Psychology and Coaching Psychology.
- Faculty of Human Sciences-Education: Early Childhood Studies, Special Education, Child Psychology for Education.
- Faculty of Architecture, Engineering and the Built Environment: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering & Computer Systems, Electronic Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing.
- Faculty of Culture and Communication: Journalism, Film Directing, Music Technology and Production.
- Faculty of Law.
Metropolitan College offers a broad range of undergraduate and postgraduate academic courses in collaboration with five distinguished UK universities: University of East London, Queen Margaret University, Solent University in Southampton, University of Portsmouth and University of London International Programmes. The carefully selected programmes of study provided are specially-designed to meet the demands of students to facilitate the entry of its graduates as employees into the Greek and international job market. All the courses lay emphasis on both theory and practice providing students with a solid professional background in their chosen field of study. The programmes also fulfil all the criteria set by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and by the awarding parent institutions. Furthermore, the college regularly organises guest lectures, talks, seminars and conferences, in order to further enhance the students’ networking with distinguished professionals, researchers and scientifics.